DevOps is more of a crazy idea without automation. All thanks to the automation in the tools that makes DevOps transformation possible. DevOps has more crucial components than just tools, yet DevOps tools for code management are still absolutely essential. Therefore, selecting the appropriate tools is a priority for DevOps success. From using one tool at the most basic level of everyday operations or connecting the many other tools into an integrated operation, there are various tools that enable a DevOps transformation.
Canvassing into the Coding Stage of the DevOps Lifecycle
In the DevOps lifecycle, after the code development, comes the coding management stage. To speed up the development process, the lead developers and their teams employ different plugins and technologies like Git. This further assists them stay away from bad coding habits and security problems.
Early detection of flaws in the source code occurs during this stage. Developers use different tools for unit testing and code review or even integration testing, compilation, and packaging. This helps produce new code that adds greater functionality to the program.
The modifications that end customers would see as a result of the updated code are better reflected by the ongoing integration of this new code into the current source code.
There are many trending DevOps tools for the code management phase. We have many choices, but we’ll focus on the finest ones that address demands and needs in different DevOps pathways. Along with going over the tools directly, we’ll also take a quick look at the benefits that these tools will offer.
GitHub is a fantastic SCM platform that aids teams in collaborating to resolve issues with the code modifications they introduce into the existing code. They advance concepts while always learning from one another. In addition to other SCM technologies that have been in the market for several years, GitHub has had significant customer satisfaction.
- It allows for the collaboration, evaluation, and management of software/application code by big development teams.
- It integrates with bug-tracking software.
- It supports and complies with authorization and access control.
- It stands favorably for distributed version control between various teams.
- A majority of helpful projects may be found on GitHub or Git.
- It is very simple to exchange your code, documentation, and presentations.
- This is the ideal space for all developers to deal with both private and public libraries.
- Because of the numerous integrations that may be performed with GitHub, developers find it to be intriguing.
- With all of its convenient features, such as specifying issues, pulling requests, labels, and milestones, it offers one of the nicest and simplest user interfaces.
- The entire method is easy to employ and incredibly effective.
- You get project development, documentation, and nearly anything else related to your projects in one place.
- Anybody can host, examine the code, or administer the projects if they so choose.
- It allows you to collaborate with developers of different other nationalities when collaborating on open source projects.
Another important DevOps Tool for Code Management is GitLab. In addition to offering a Git repository management functionality with capabilities like access control, bug fixing, and code reviewing, GitLab is another repository management solution that is housed on the free hosting service called GitLab.com. GitLab CI and GitLab are totally integrated. This makes it simple to further integrate projects via the GitLab API. GitLab, which was created in the Go programming language, can run multiple operating systems, including Windows, Linux, OS X, Docker, and FreeBSD.
- It is compliant with project management, CI/CD integration, and Git workflows as well.
- There are more than 30 million individuals and 100,000 companies using it.
- It is ideal for use with Git-based solutions for version control, CI/CD, project management, etc. as a comprehensive project life cycle.
- GitLab Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), and other GitLab features are provided free of charge by GitLab.com.
- The learning curve is rather straight, and the fast-start tutorials encompass every subject in considerable detail.
- GitLab Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery provides a relatively similar recognizable, user-friendly, and attractive experience as GitLab.
- Tests typically run distributed over different machines, and more of them can be deployed at any time thanks to the machines’ extensibility.
- To get faster performance, it is possible to divide each production into numerous jobs that can execute concurrently on various machines.
- Continuous Delivery is accomplished through several settings, phases, and manual releases.
- Both the private Enterprise Edition and the open-source Community Edition of GitLab come with the CI and CD functionalities.
Bitbucket Server, a solution from Atlassian, combines GIT server and web interface technologies. Projects using the Mercurial or GIT version control systems are typically the focus of this web-based hosting option. This application was created especially for professional teams because it allows users to manage and work together on GIT projects in addition to allowing them to code.
- Refactoring, project management, and collaboration, you get all in one place.
- Workspaces are developed by keeping the teams in focus.
- It is recommended that organizations that currently use Atlassian-based solutions like Confluence and Jira choose Bitbucket to fully utilize the Atlassian suite.
- BitBucket offers a distributed control system that makes user collaboration incredibly simple and supports extremely large scaling.
- Additionally, BitBucket has limitless private and open repositories.
- Granular permissions are another benefit that BitBucket offers, making its Workflow function quite safe.
- It offers the option to link with popular enterprise software like Bamboo, JIRA, and HipChat. Additionally, it promotes effective and efficient work among users.
DevOps Tools for Code Management Have Prominent Value in SDLC
A shared objective that is in line with the value provided to end users is necessary to properly implement DevOps tools for code management. Automation makes it possible for quick agility and quick feedback. The essential framework for an automation platform is made up of DevOps tools.
Although these tools allow for operations to be carried out without the need for human interaction, they also give human intelligence insights into the operations so that it can understand what is going on autonomously. Although DevOps is not about using tools, it is made feasible by them. Tools are essential and help in advancing cultural improvement.